jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Andrey Beznogov" <andb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Remote servers and ramp up
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:33:42 GMT
Hi,

trying to synchronize the request generation by different servers is
probably too hard to implement.

It is easier - and probably more realistic if we think about user
generated requests - to just insert a (Once Only Controller - Uniform
Random Timer) as the first element of your tests ThreadGroup.

If you set Random Delay Maximum to (RampUpTime/NumberOfThreads), and
Constant Delay Offset to 0, threads spawned by each server will be
randomly paused at the beginning, and the requests generated by the
first Sampler on each server will be uniformly distributed in time.

Regards,
Andrey

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Fitzpatrick, Adrian <adrianf@revenue.ie> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our JMeter testing platform consists of 7 PCs - one controller and 6 running
> Jmeter servers that we use for load generation. Many of the tests we run are
> stress tests - where we gradually increase the load over time to establish
> system capacity and breaking points. We use the JMeter "Ramp-Up Period"
> setting to give this testing profile. This works fine when only running on a
> single PC, however, we have issues running these types of tests spread across
> our remote PCs.
>
> For example if we want to run a test with 60 threads, we have a thread group
> with 10 threads on our controller, and then start the test running remotely
> on the six load generators. In this scenario, if we use a ramp up, the load
> is increased in steps of 6 threads, rather than gradually 1 thread at a time
> as we would like.
>
> Can anyone suggest any way for use to get round this issue while still using
> remote JMeter servers? Perhaps this is changed in a new version? We are
> currently using 2.3RC4 and I've reviewed the release notes for later versions
> but haven't seen anything. Any suggestions would be welcomed!
>
> Regards,
>
> Adrian

diem perdidi