jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Sen, Kakoli" <Kakoli....@ps.net>
Subject RE: JMeter proxy server supporting HTTPS
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:20:52 GMT
Hi Sebb,
  Your reason on JMeter proxy not supporting HTTPS :
No, this is because it is not possible to extract the information
needed to construct the samplers from HTTPS traffic. If it was, then
HTTPS would not be secure.
Can you throw some more light on this since I am not so conversant with the nitty gritty of
samplers from a developer's view-point.

No support for HTTPS is a bottleneck for using JMeter in black-box testing of secured sites.

Thanks & Regards,
Kakoli

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [ mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 3:52 PM
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: JMeter proxy server supporting HTTPS

On 17/08/06, Sen, Kakoli <Kakoli.Sen@ps.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>    JMeter's proxy server does not support HTTPS. Is it because of jdk bug?

No, this is because it is not possible to extract the information
needed to construct the samplers from HTTPS traffic. If it was, then
HTTPS would not be secure.

> The manual says :
> 'There is a bug in the handling of HTTPS via a Proxy (the CONNECT is not handled correctly).
See Java bugs 6226610'
> Is it that a fundamental protocol like HTTPS is not supported even in Jdk1.5?

I don't know if it has been fixed in Java 1.5.

This is referring to a different proxy usage, where JMeter uses a
proxy to contact remote servers via a proxy.

The JMeter proxy server is where JMeter is acting as a proxy, and you
tell the browser to connect via the JMeter proxy for the purpose of
creating samplers in a test plan.