jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: measuring performance of commons chain commands
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:01:02 GMT
On 7/6/05, Edgar Poce <edgarpoce@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi seth
>
> On 7/6/05, Seth Ladd <seth@ehawaii.gov> wrote:
> > Edgar Poce wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > >  I'd like to measure the performance of my commons chain commands. I
> > > think I could wrap each Command in a JavaSamplerClient implementation,
> > > but I plan to have lots of them and i'd like to use a more generic
> > > approach. I'm thinking of writing a new protocol for commons chain,
> > > but I'm not sure whether it's the right way to go. Could anyone point
> > > me in the right direction?
> >
> > I recommend using the beanshell environment.  It makes it very easy to
> > test Java code, without having to implement a JavaSamplerClient.
>
> thank you  for your comment. I don't like the idea of using the
> beanshell environment because it's too jmeter specific. I don't see

Not so - see below.

> any benefit over the commons chain approach, most probably because my
> ignorance on stress testig matters :(. If you do please let me know
> the reasons, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> I already made a ChainSampler[1] which runs Commons chain commands.
> It's quite straight forward, I put the jar with my commands and that's
> it. I think this It's a good approach because I can reuse the code for
> other purposes than performance testing. Please let me know whether
> this appreciation is wrong.

Seems to me that the ChainSampler is at least as JMeter-specific as
the BeanShell Sampler.

The intention of the BeanShell Sampler was to provide a simple way to
create samplers - all that needs to be done is to perform the sample,
with the rest of the details being taken care of (e.g. calculating
times).

The BSH script can be developed standalone if required, and then
plugged into the sampler with almost no more code (just set the status
and return the data). The disadvantage is that BSH may be a bit slower
than compiled Java code.

Howver, now that the ChainSampler has been written, it probably makes
sense to stick with that.