jclouds-user mailing list archives

From Yury Kats <yuryk...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: use exponential backoff on retry (was RE: JClouds BlobStore re-authentication when auth token expires)
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2014 16:45:40 GMT
CONNECTION_TIMEOUT applies to establishing a connection
SO_TIMEOUT applies to existing connection that is idle.

On 10/17/2014 12:32 PM, Zack Shoylev wrote:
> They are slightly different. I think the connection timeout only applies when initiating
the connection to the remote host. I don't think they are additive.

is waited-for as well?  And what is the difference between the SO_TIMEOUT and the CONNECTION_TIMEOUT?
 (Comments in Constants.java say socket connection vs connection, code [e.g. HttpUtils] says
"so" is socket open, and I can't seem to trace exactly where the values end up being used
in practice.)

> Thank you again.
>
> Daniel Hsueh

time. This specifies how long the client should wait before jclouds closes the connection
and attempts to retry the HTTP call. I would suggest a value of 5 seconds.

> PROPERTY_MAX_RETRIES - This specifies the maximum number of retries for the call that
will be attempted by jclouds. Note that setting this to 0 will result in a single call. Setting
this to 1 will retry once before failing.

> PROPERTY_RETRY_DELAY_START - This specifies how long the exponential backoff waits between
retries. The exponential backoff retry mechanism in jclouds will double this value after each
retry.

> I don't think you can set them differently for different operations, though.
>
> -Zack

fails.  IIRC, there are three RetryOnRenew classes, and they either retry 5 times, or retry
5 times with a fixed delay between the 2,3,4th attempts.  Is there a way to configure an increasing
backoff?