From Bhargav Golla <bhargav.go...@gmail.com>
Subject Project Proposal fro "Photo galleria: A hybrid mobile app developed using Phonegap"
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 21:29:20 GMT
*Proposal Title:* Photo galleria: A hybrid mobile app developed using
Phonegap

Proposal Abstract:

There is no Hybrid mobile app for a user to view all his photos stored in
various online social networking sites and storage sites at one place. The
goal of this project is to solve the aforementioned problem.

Through this project, I intend to develop a hybrid app that will stream all
photos a user has uploaded on various sites like Facebook, Picasa, and
Flickr etc. by making use of APIs of these sites. This app will be
developed using Phonegap.

*Detailed Description*:

This idea was a result of brainstorming I did to solve Issue- 76 on Photark
[1 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOTARK-76>]. The end product of
this project is a hybrid mobile app that will display a photo stream of all
photos a user uploaded on various sites like Facebook, Picasa, and Flickr
etc. The reason I chose Phonegap for the app development is because I feel
that hybrid apps are better than native apps and Phonegap helps a lot in
developing Hybrid apps.

The home screen of the app, for a first time user will feature options for
the user to connect to various sites as shown here [2]. To start off with,
I am picking Facebook, Picasa and Flickr as these are the most used photo
sharing websites and have great documentation that will help me in
developing the app. Once the user provides authorization to the app to
fetch photos from the websites he wants, the photo stream gets displayed as
shown here [3]. This stream will be sorted according to the date added.

User can choose to add/ remove authorization to remaining websites at any
point of time by clicking on the settings tab. The screen for this page
looks like this [4].

The architectural outline of the application can be found here [5].

*Implementation details:*

Picasa, Facebook and Flickr APIs are free to use. Phonegap will be used to
develop the app. Let me provide a brief introduction to the steps that will
be followed in the development procedure of the app.

   - Mobile UI design: The UI designed should be attractive and should
   contain minimal elements. As this is a hybrid mobile app, all types of
   screens will be taken care of and a suitable UI will be designed. This will
   include the development and design of three pages that have similar
   functionalities as screenshots shown above. These three screens have to be
   linked. My work at art will help me in designing user friendly and
   attractive screens.
   - Integrating with Servers: This module can be viewed as two parts. One,
   authorization to access photos from user account. This will be done using
   OAuth. All the above APIs support OAuth 2.0 [6] and hence the same will be
   used. Once the user authorizes the app to fetch photos, the second step
   starts i.e., taking data (photos) from these servers along with metadata
   like album name, date created/added. This metadata will help us in grouping
   the photos and sorting them chronologically.
   - Organize and Display Photos: The photos that come from the servers are
   to be grouped under albums and have to be sorted chronologically. The
   metadata made available by the services from these APIs will be used to
   achieve this functionality. Thus the organization of photos is done. The
   next important element, probably the most important element, is how the
   photos get displayed. I will make sure there is constant streaming of
   photos, i.e., the app doesn’t wait for all the photos to be transferred to
   local storage but will start displaying photos as they are getting
   transferred to local storage. This will enhance the user experience of the
   application and in turn gains huge ratings on user experience grounds.
   - Fine Tuning the application: This includes the testing part of the
   application and other upgrades i.e., add-ons to the basic functionality. We
   can expect users with large amount of photos on their accounts. Our app
   must be developed in such a way as to minimize the data transfer that
   exists between server and phone. This can be done by taking photos of only
   specific time duration at once and requesting older photos only if a user
   scrolls down to that location.

*
Timeline to be followed:
*
May 21, 2012: Coding begins
1.5 weeks:* *Designing UI
3.5 weeks: Integrating with servers
1.5 weeks: Testing of app and integrating the two modules. Updating
documentation
*July 9, 2012: Mid-term Code submission*
2 weeks: Organizing and Display photos
3 weeks: Fine Tuning the application
1 week: Improving documentation, rigorous testing
*August 20, 2012: ‘Pencils Down’ Date*

   -

About Me:

I am Bhargav Golla, a third year student from the Department of Computer
Sciences and Information Systems at BITS-Pilani, Rajasthan, India. I am
pursuing my undergraduate degree in Computer Science Engineering. I am the
coordinator of Apogee, BITS-Pilani national technical festival. This
provided me with the leadership skills that helped me lead my team to
success in Apogee. I am an open source enthusiast. I am associated with
BITSFOSS (an initiative aimed at providing to students of BITS Pilani a
repository of FOSS software and open educational content) as a Social Media
manager in the newsletter campaign to encourage Open Source Software usage
in our college. My association with Android Mobile Computing User Group and
Google Technology Users Group (as a founder of BITS-Pilani Chapter) helped
me gain working experience with technologies like Android, HTML5/CSS3 and
Python. I am very good at C, JavaScript, and Java and am also familiar with
Windows Phone App development. I organized Windows Phone App development
Workshops and App-a-thons with Microsoft help at BITS-Pilani.