ibatis-user-cs mailing list archives

From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: log4net and versions 1.3/1.7
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 06:13:41 GMT
The most recent version of IBatisNet isn't bound to a specific version of log4net. In fact
you can use any logging library you want: log4net v1.2.0 beta 8, log4net v1.2.9  beta, NLog,
your own home-grown logging solution (please don't!), etc. Imagine a user who was using a
version of NHibernate that was built against log4net v1.2.0 beta 8 alongside a version of
IBatisNet that was built against log4net v1.2.9. Previous to this release you had to make
sure that every project in your /bin was built against the same version of log4net.

You don't need log4net to use IBatisNet.

----- Original Message ----
From: Brian Kierstead <brian@fluidmedia.com>
To: user-cs@ibatis.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:09:15 PM
Subject: log4net and versions 1.3/1.7

          Can anyone explain to me why is meant by the new version not having a dependency
on log4net?  I'm getting a little confused when reading the docs and readme files.  In the
changelog.txt file under the IBatisNet.DataMapper-bin-1.3.0 directory it says (it has a similar
file in the DataAccess directory which says the same thing):

 Added custom logger support (remove dependcy on log4net), IBATIS now need a custom section
in your application config file
      Exemple (for log4NET) :
       <configSections>
           <sectionGroup name="iBATIS">
               <section name="logging" type="IBatisNet.Common.Logging.ConfigurationSectionHandler,
IBatisNet.Common" />
           </sectionGroup>
           <section name="log4net" type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler,
log4net" />
       </configSections>

       <iBATIS>
           <logging>
               <logFactoryAdapter type="IBatisNet.Common.Logging.Impl.Log4NetLoggerFA,
IBatisNet.Common.Logging.Log4Net">
                   <arg key="configType" value="inline" />
               </logFactoryAdapter>
           </logging>
       </iBATIS>

 How is this removing the dependancy on log4net?  Its still in there... And in the documentation
for the data access, under 'Setup the Distribution' it says that you need to include log4net
(it doesn't say this in the mapper help file):

    The core DataAccess framework has external dependencies on
           Castle.DynamicProxy.dll (creating proxies)      log4net.dll (logging)

 So do we need it or not? Or do you only need to include it in the web.config if it you want
the logging to be used?

 Thanks,
 Brian