hudi-dev mailing list archives

From Udit Mehrotra <udi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Hudi release voting process
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2021 21:25:11 GMT
Thanks Sivabalan, for starting this thread and laying out the timelines we
followed in detail. And appreciate all the community members, who are so
passionately debating to ensure a quality release.

As all of you mentioned, "-1" is an important right maintained by the
community members, but we need to clearly define what qualifies as a valid
"-1". In my limited experience working on open source, once we cut a
release and start the voting process, only regressions introduced in any of
the environments or breaking tests should be considered as valid blockers.
Any further bug fixes or improvements go with minor releases. While,
cherry-picking small PRs seems like not such a time taking process, but it
again leads to retesting of the RC, building/publishing the new release and
also opens the door for introducing further bugs. IMO we should be careful
about the precedent we will set here, because bugs/improvements will never
cease to exist in projects operating at the scale of Hudi and boundaries
will become hazy as to what qualifies as a valid blocker.

We did RC2 because we found regressions in RC1, where some of the earlier
configs could not be used with the Hudi 0.9.0 which would have broken
existing customers. The issues currently raised on RC2 are not regressions
and hence I am hesitant to block the release for that. However, I would be
more than happy to hear and consider other points of view.

Again, really encouraging to see folks having this debate, being truly
passionate about the project, and striving for the best possible release.

Thanks,
Udit Mehrotra
Release Manager