hudi-dev mailing list archives

From Sivabalan <n.siv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release 0.9.0, release candidate #2
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2021 03:50:30 GMT
I would like to share my thoughts on the release process in general. I will
read more about what exactly qualifies for -1 and will look into what Peng
and Danny has put up. But some thoughts on the release in general.

Every release process is very tedious and time consuming and RM does put in
non-trivial amount of work in getting the release out. To make the process
smooth, RM started an email thread by Aug 3, calling for any release
blockers. Would like to understand, if these were surfaced in that thread?
What I am afraid of is, we might keep delaying our release by adding more
patches/bug fixes with every candidate. For instance, if we consider these
and RM works on RC3 and puts up a vote in 5 days and what if someone else
wants to add a couple of more fixes or improvements to the release? If it's
a very serious bug that one cannot do basic operations like insert/upsert
in any of the engines or some serious regression, yeah we can definitely
block the release. But if there are corner case bugs, or any improvements
in general, we can always have another release immediately following this.
This is my humble opinion having gone through the release process myself in
the past and have helped others in doing the release in Hudi. It's been
more than 4 months we have had a release. Would be good for us to be
mindful of that as well. Maybe this is common in other projects, but I am
not aware of that. Please enlighten me if you have experience with other
projects.

I would like to hear from other PMCs and experts who are more
knowledgeable about the release process.
And if anyone has any suggestions on improving the release process in
general (if we can seal the patches that go into a release upfront, etc), I
am all ears to that as well.

--
Regards,
-Sivabalan