httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1891148 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: include/ap_mmn.h include/util_filter.h modules/proxy/proxy_util.c server/util_filter.c
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2021 07:42:21 GMT
On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 09:16:21PM -0000, ylavic@apache.org wrote:
> Author: ylavic
> Date: Tue Jun 29 21:16:21 2021
> New Revision: 1891148

> Log:
> core: Write Completion (WC) bucket type.
>
> A WC bucket is meant to prevent buffering/coalescing filters from retaining
> data, but unlike a FLUSH bucket it won't cause the core output filter to
> block trying to flush anything before.

Interesting.  I think it would be helpful to have the semantics of this
bucket type described in the header as well.

So filters should treat a WC bucket the same as FLUSH in general?  And
specifically, filters are broken if they don't?  It seems like an
accident that this makes mod_ssl's coalesce filter flush, merely because
it will flush for *any* metadata bucket type, but it didn't have to be
designed that way.

If so I wonder if it wouldn't be better to overload FLUSH for this, e.g.
by having a FLUSH bucket with a non-NULL ->data pointer or something?
The core knows it is special but everywhere else treats as FLUSH.

(Seems we need bucket subclasses...)

Regards, Joe