hc-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject HttpComponents PMC Report Q4/2007
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:12:10 GMT
Status Report for the Apache HttpComponents project, December 2007
[monthly reporting schedule through February]

-- Status --

There are no items needing immediate attention of the board though it is
worth to note that we had two releases in the meantime and that the move
to TLP is nearly done. See below for more details.

-- Releases --

This list includes all releases since our last report as a Jakarta
sub-project in September 2007.

   9 October 2007 - HttpComponents HttpCore 4.0 alpha 6
   7 November 2007 - HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0 alpha 2

-- Community --

No new committers, the PMC still has the same composition as of the date
of TLP approval:

   erikabele, antelder, asankha, olegk, oglueck, pzf, rolandw, sebb

It is also worth to note that currently all active committers are
also on
the PMC.

-- Migration --

We are nearly done moving out of Jakarta to our own dedicated TLP; there
are still some minor things to be done but the PMC is actively
working on
getting everything in shape until end of the year.

Items done:

	- Updated faundation records (internal & public)
	- Updated ASF Site (links, records, ...)
	- Created / moved mailing lists
	  dev@/commits@/httpclient-users@/private@ hc.a.o
	- Created new TLP SVN tree and private pmc-specific SVN tree
	  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/
	  https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpcomponents/
	- Created DNS, Unix group and website space
	  http://hc.apache.org/
	  http://httpcomponents.apache.org/ (redirects to hc.a.o)
	- Created dist location and archive location
	  http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/
	  http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/
	- Added raw mail archives, merged out of the old lists
	  http://hc.apache.org/mail/
	- Updated Jira components, links and mailing list notifications
	- Requested changes of mod_mbox archives as well as move of the wiki

Items still in work:

	- Move of SVN contents
	- Move of wiki, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1442
	- Move of website when moved in SVN
	- Updating website with the new mailing lists, locations of svn,
	  dist and wiki locations
	- Adding redirects for the old site/svn as soon as moved
	- Adding project-specific DOAP info (projects.apache.org)
	- Updating Gump integration
	- Creating the bylaws, currently we're still operating under the
	  previous Jakarta-specific bylaws

-- Development --

After the HttpCore 4.0 alpha6 release, the Java version requirement
question was raised once more by a contributor. We held a poll on the
user
list which showed zero interest in JDK 1.4 compatibility. We therefore
upgraded the required Java version to 5.0 for everything but HttpCore-
main.
HttpCore-main remains compatible with Java 1.3 to facilitate a port
to J2ME,
if anyone wants to do that.

HttpCore alpha6 was the last alpha, but we still made significant API
improvements for the upcoming beta. The parsing API was changed to use
cursors, and new iterators for header values were introduced. After the
upgrade of the Java requirements, module HttpNIOSSL was merged into
HttpNIO.
HttpNIO now makes use of generics, and has also seen some
improvements and
extensions of its API.

HttpClient 4.0 alpha2 was functionally mostly complete. Remaining
gaps to
3.1 functionality are NTLM authentication and multipart request
entities.
NTLM authentication will be provided in a separate module. We still
have to
figure out whether we can host that module on Apache, since it will
depend
on L-GPL licensed jCIFS. None of the developers wants to maintain the
NTLMv1
code from HttpClient 3.1. A multipart request entity is used for file
uploads, and for extendend protocols like WebDAV. Since we currently
focus
our efforts on HTTP, multipart is somewhat out of scope. Other projects
provide multipart parsing functionality, but not the formatting we would
need. It seems most likely that multipart formatting code will end up in
some contrib package, which is officially unsupported but will work. The
alpha3 release is still a long way to go. We've upgraded the code to
make
use of Java 5 generics. Other Java 5 features will be used too, for
example
in connection management. The thread-safe connection manager still needs
some internal refactoring. Improvements to the client API can be
expected
all over the place.