That is the current expected behaviour. The grammar currently doesn't support slashy syrings straight after println unless you add the parentheses. I can't recall the rationale just now. Perhaps it's something we could look at in the Parrot parser - or an attempt to add it might make it clear what the rationale is/was.

Cheers, Paul