groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: Proposal handling of potential variable declarations for expressions starting with an underscore or dollar
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2021 10:17:22 GMT
Thanks for the feedback. I have also seen the convention used for "pseudo"
private methods, like you mention. And also for methods named so as not to
conflict with likely names already in source code.

I presume the Gradle codebase has names (or generates names) such as that
(since it triggered this investigation) but it might not be the only
related library/framework using such a convention.

Cheers, Paul.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 7:58 PM Mario Garcia <mario.ggar@gmail.com> wrote:

> If it helps, I've seen some programmers with python background using the
> underscore in Groovy for method declaration. It seems they use the
> convention of the underscore prefix to note these methods aren't for public
> consumption.
>
> El jue, 11 feb 2021 a las 9:49, Paul King (<paul.king.asert@gmail.com>)
> escribiĆ³:
>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I would be interested in any thoughts about the following issue:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-9936
>>
>> TL;DR There is an edge case where Groovy 3 (Parrot) behavior now differs
>> from the old parser. Even though an argument could be made either way as to
>> which behavior is better, I propose we align with the old parser.
>>
>> Proposed PR:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/groovy/pull/1485
>>
>> Let me know your thoughts.
>>
>> Thanks, Paul.