groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Andres Almiray <aalmi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal handling of potential variable declarations for expressions starting with an underscore or dollar
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2021 10:08:18 GMT
As I recall the use of a single _ as variable name is restricted since JDK10 and will become
an error in newer JDKs.

Does the use of a leading _ in an identifier has been discouraged as well in newer JDKs? If
so then we should do the same even of means breaking compatibility.

Cheers
Andres

Sent from my primitive tricorder

> On 11 Feb 2021, at 10:58, Mario Garcia <mario.ggar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ´╗┐
> If it helps, I've seen some programmers with python background using the underscore in
Groovy for method declaration. It seems they use the convention of the underscore prefix to
note these methods aren't for public consumption.

>> El jue, 11 feb 2021 a las 9:49, Paul King (<paul.king.asert@gmail.com>) escribi├│:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I would be interested in any thoughts about the following issue:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-9936
>>
>> TL;DR There is an edge case where Groovy 3 (Parrot) behavior now differs from the
old parser. Even though an argument could be made either way as to which behavior is better,
I propose we align with the old parser.