felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: OBR and automatic bundle update
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 17:40:02 GMT
On 4/1/12 12:32, Matias SM wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using OBR to help me resolve bundle deployment. Everything works
> great and as expected but I'm facing a situation I don't know how to
> solve.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Here is my test scenario:
> I have the following bundles in an OBR repository:
> * SymbolicName: A | Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.1 | exports: (package: "p.a"
> version: 1)
> * SymbolicName: A | Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.2| exports: (package: "p.a"
> version: 1)
> * SymbolicName: DA | Bundle-Version: 1| depends: (package: "p.a"
> version: [1 , 2) )
> * SymbolicName: DexA | Bundle-Version: 1| depends: (package: "p.a"
> version: [1 , 2) ) and (bundle: "A" version: [1.0.0.2, 1.0.0.2] )
>
> Then my test runs as follows:
> g! deploy -s DA
>     ==> this also deploys A version 1.0.0.2 (I guess because it is the
> "newer" bundle that exports "pa" version 1)
>
> g! deploy -s A@1.0.0.1
>     ==> this __updates__ the previously deployed A (version 1.0.0.2)
>
> First "issue", if I run:
> g!deploy -s A@1.0.0.2
>     ==> then OBR executes successfully but A@1.0.0.2 is not installed
> (since there is an "updated" version of it already resolved). I know
> this is the expected behavior, but I would like to be able to deploy
> A@1.0.0.2

It seems like OBR should probably be performing a refresh after it does
an update, so there isn't an older version hanging around.

> Second (and worse) issue, if I now run:
> g!refresh
>     ==> so A@1.0.0.2 is completely uninstalled from the framework
> And then:
> g!deploy -s DexA
>     ==> this deployment __fails__ because A@1.0.0.2 can't be
> reinstalled in the framework!!

Not sure why that would be. Are you seeing some sort of error?

> ---------------------------------------
>
> In the OBR project web page [1] can be read:
> "OBR's deployment algorithm appears simple at first glance, but it is
> actually somewhat complex due to the nature of deploying independently
> developed bundles. For example, in an ideal world, if an update for a
> bundle is made available, then updates for all of the bundles
> satisfying its dependencies are also made available. Unfortunately,
> this may not be the case, thus the deployment algorithm might have to
> install new bundles during an update to satisfy either new
> dependencies or updated dependencies that can no longer be satisfied
> by existing local bundles. In response to this type of scenario,
> ___the OBR deployment algorithm tries to favor updating existing
> bundles, if possible, as opposed to installing new bundles to satisfy
> dependencies.____"
>
> I don't fully understand this explanation but I get that the described
> behavior is as intended.

Not sure which part you don't understand.

> My questions are:
> 1- Is there a way to force the installation of different bundle
> versions (instead of the update of "older" ones) when deploying
> through OBR?

No, I don't think so.

> 2- What kind of issues may this behavior (installation of different
> versions) rise? (this is not considering the "problem" of having a lot
> of bundles installed)

Lots of providers is generally a bad thing since it creates many
partitions in the overall class spaces of the bundles, meaning that
collaboration among them becomes limited to little islands of bundles
that happen to be using the same same providers.

> Note that while I'm using the shell to run my tests, my intention is
> to use the OBR API in my code. So the "solution" may be available only
> in the API.
>
> Sorry the mail got so long but I wanted to state my problem as clear
> as possible.
> Thank you for taking the time to read and to answer!

Still not clear to me what the actual issue is or the solution, but at a
minimum OBR should probably refresh after update.

-> richard