empire-user mailing list archives

From Greg Meddles <greg.medd...@nisc-llc.com>
Subject caching advice? and metadata-driven usage
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 18:53:21 GMT
Hello,

My complements:  I've been using empire-db for about two months to build a service that provides
very dynamic data access to a series of semi-static ROLAP database schemas for use with RIA
data visualization.  My implementation uses empire-db classes in a way that is entirely runtime
configured, as opposed to the typical compile-time usages shown in your examples (but probably
not totally dissimilar to your code generator).  The largest benefit I receive from empire-db
on this particular project is vendor-neutral SQL generation.  However, I've used every conceivable
java persistence technology over the past dozen years (JDBC, early EJB entity beans, SolarMetric
Kodo, Hibernate, Ibatis, JPA, ad infinitum) and I think empire-db strikes the perfect balance
of flexibility and ease-of-use for a typical transaction processing application. Great job!
 I wish empire-db would get a little more exposure with the technology bloggers, because I
only found out about this great technology by accidental, yet providential, google search
for something very specific.

My question:  I'd like to now improve performance by adding caching to reduce the cost of
aggregation for mostly-static data.  Do you have any recommendations for using empire-db with
any of the common open source java caching projects?  I'd particularly like to leverage the
db itself for secondary cache (when a LRU method purges cache entries from memory).  Ideally
I'd like to use a true data table as opposed to serialization of cache entries into a BLOB
column.

Sorry for the long email, but thanks in advance.
Greg