creadur-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject RAT example use cases (Re: RAT running nicely against Forrest with excludes)
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:14:21 GMT
2009/11/17 David Crossley <crossley@apache.org>:

> I did used to do scanning and license header fixing using
> my old committers/relicense/src/perl/insert_license.pl|txt
> After getting a similar exclusions list working with RAT
> we now have nice correlation of reports. Good work, RAT.

Thanks for the validation David.

Prompted by Davids useful mail I thought I would point out that I use
RAT in a Maven build system. The build will fail if some adds a file
without a license header. If someone is using a different build system
(e.g. Eclipse) and forgets to run Maven before committing the Hudson
CI server will fail within 15 minutes.

I've found this amazingly useful for keeping things in order. The
configuration (which demonstrates excludes in Maven) is:

<plugin>
        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
        <artifactId>rat-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <configuration>
          <excludes>
            <exclude>.pmd</exclude>
            <exclude>derby.log</exclude>
            <exclude>repository/**/*</exclude>
            <exclude>reports/**/*</exclude>
            <exclude>simal/**/*</exclude>
            <exclude>build/**/*</exclude>
            <exclude>simalDOAPFilestore/**/*</exclude>
            <exclude>simalRepository/**/*</exclude>
            <exclude>local.simal.properties</exclude>
            <exclude>local.simal.test.properties</exclude>
          </excludes>
        </configuration>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <phase>verify</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>check</goal>
            </goals>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk