couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 3.0.0 released
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2020 18:33:01 GMT
On 2020-02-26 13:13, Jim Mason wrote:
>   Great product and really like the 3.0 features.
> When will we get JDBC driver support to standardize use of CouchDB as our preferred database?

Hi Jim,

The project's general approach to client libraries has been to let the
community build these. If a developer of a successful library then asks
to contribute their code to Apache, and agrees to move development of
that library to our community, we'll take it into the core project - as
has happened for the nano JavaScript library.

The only Java library I'm familiar with for CouchDB at the moment is
ektorp. It does not appear to include a direct JDBC driver.

As the old saying goes: Pull Requests Welcome! That means: roll up your
sleeves and help write a JDBC driver for CouchDB. We absolutely would
welcome another contributor in the community, and another client driver.

Personally, I don't work with any Java-based CouchDB apps, so this isn't
on my own development radar.

Good luck,
Joan

> Thanks,
> Jim Mason
>
>      On Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 12:49:54 PM EST, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org>
wrote:

>   Dear community,
>
> Apache CouchDB® 3.0.0 has been released and is available for download.
>
> Apache CouchDB® lets you access your data where you need it. The Couch Replication Protocol
is implemented in a variety of projects and products that span every imaginable computing
environment from globally distributed server-clusters, over mobile phones to web browsers.

> Store your data safely, on your own servers, or with any leading cloud provider. Your
web- and native applications love CouchDB, because it speaks JSON natively and supports binary
data for all your data storage needs.

> The Couch Replication Protocol lets your data flow seamlessly between server clusters
to mobile phones and web browsers, enabling a compelling offline-first user-experience while
maintaining high performance and strong reliability. CouchDB comes with a developer-friendly
query language, and optionally MapReduce for simple, efficient, and comprehensive data retrieval.

> https://couchdb.apache.org/#download
>
> Pre-built packages for Windows, macOS, Debian/Ubuntu and RHEL/CentOS are available. Docker
images have been submitted to Docker Hub for review and will be available as soon as that
process is done.

> CouchDB 3.0.0 is a major release, and was originally published on 2020-02-26.
>
> The community would like to thank all contributors for their part in making this release,
from the smallest bug report or patch to major contributions in code, design, or marketing,
we couldn’t have done it without you!