couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 3.0.0 released
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2020 21:30:15 GMT
On 2020-02-26 15:09, Sebastien wrote:
> Great news, congratulations on the release!

Hi Sebastien! Thanks!
> Are there more details over what the upgrade of the JS engine means in
> practice?
> Can we write ES2015 modules and use let/const, arrow functions and the like
> for map/reduce functions?

Yes, that's the idea. You can do anything supported by Firefox 60esr.
Sandboxing rules for couchjs still apply. You can also write your
map/reduce functions directly using more modern syntax:

   "map": "(function (doc) {emit(doc._id, 1);});"

That should help with module inclusion, declarations, etc. A PR against
our docs to include this info would be most welcome - we overlooked this
I think with the SM60 changes.

The compatibility tables online here should help you know what's achievable:

     https://kangax.github.io/compat-table/es6/

Be sure to pick "Show obsolete platforms" to get a column for "FF 60 ESR."

Do remember also that if you have to replicate with older versions of
CouchDB, you'll want to be backward compatible.

Note that only the following binary downloads have SpiderMonkey 60 in them:

   * Debian buster packages (.deb)
     * x86_64, ppc64le only (not arm64v8)
   * CentOS 8 packages (.rpm)
     * x86_64 only
   * docker (couchdb, apache/couchdb)
     * x86_64, ppc64le only (not arm64v8)
   * macOS (10.10+, 64-bit)
   * Windows (7+, 64-bit)

These do not have SM60:

   * CentOS 6, 7 (not expected to be added)
   * Debian stretch (not expected to be added)
   * Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial), 18.04 (bionic)
     * Ubuntu 20.04 (focal) should include SM60 once released in April.

-Joan "coredump in progress" Touzet