couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couch 2.x cluster returning inconsistent _all_docs
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2018 21:03:51 GMT
the word 'emfile' indicates the immediate problem is one of file permissions. The user that
couchdb is running as is unable to open the shards/5... file. So you probably need a recursive
chmod/chown session to fix up ownership and permissions.

Secondly, you have changed the names of 2 nodes. This is ... unwise. All clustered databases
address their data files using the node names, so what you've effectively done is delete 2
of the 3 copies of your databases, which would explain the weird inconsistencies.

I wrote a stackoverflow post a while ago on how to correctly move an individual shard which
explains some of the internals: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6676972/moving-a-shard-from-one-bigcouch-server-to-another-for-balancing.

For your situation, I believe you will need to update all the documents in the _dbs database
and substitute your old node names for the new node names. I strongly advise you take a backup
of everything you can.

For others observing this thread, I strongly advise against renaming nodes like this, it can
only lead to trouble, and potentially data loss.

B.