couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couch 2.x cluster returning inconsistent _all_docs
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2018 06:51:17 GMT
You're quite right, Joan.

B.

> On 17 Aug 2018, at 01:53, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> Doesn't 'emfile' mean too many open file handles? Arif, check your file handle limit
as well as permissions on the files, see:

>    http://docs.couchdb.org/en/stable/maintenance/performance.html#maximum-open-file-descriptors-ulimit
>
> Finally, we have a very good bit of documentation now that improves on Robert's excellent
SO post, we recommend using these instructions now instead:

>    http://docs.couchdb.org/en/stable/cluster/sharding.html
>
> -Joan "yay good documentation" Touzet

that couchdb is running as is unable to open the shards/5... file. So you probably need a
recursive chmod/chown session to fix up ownership and permissions.

> Secondly, you have changed the names of 2 nodes. This is ... unwise. All clustered databases
address their data files using the node names, so what you've effectively done is delete 2
of the 3 copies of your databases, which would explain the weird inconsistencies.

which explains some of the internals: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6676972/moving-a-shard-from-one-bigcouch-server-to-another-for-balancing.

> For your situation, I believe you will need to update all the documents in the _dbs database
and substitute your old node names for the new node names. I strongly advise you take a backup
of everything you can.

> For others observing this thread, I strongly advise against renaming nodes like this,
it can only lead to trouble, and potentially data loss.