couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couch 2.x cluster returning inconsistent _all_docs
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2018 00:53:13 GMT
Hey everyone,

Doesn't 'emfile' mean too many open file handles? Arif, check your file handle limit as well
as permissions on the files, see:

    http://docs.couchdb.org/en/stable/maintenance/performance.html#maximum-open-file-descriptors-ulimit

Finally, we have a very good bit of documentation now that improves on Robert's excellent
SO post, we recommend using these instructions now instead:

    http://docs.couchdb.org/en/stable/cluster/sharding.html

-Joan "yay good documentation" Touzet

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Samuel Newson" <rnewson@apache.org>
To: "user" <user@couchdb.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 5:03:51 PM
Subject: Re: Couch 2.x cluster returning inconsistent _all_docs

the word 'emfile' indicates the immediate problem is one of file permissions. The user that
couchdb is running as is unable to open the shards/5... file. So you probably need a recursive
chmod/chown session to fix up ownership and permissions.

Secondly, you have changed the names of 2 nodes. This is ... unwise. All clustered databases
address their data files using the node names, so what you've effectively done is delete 2
of the 3 copies of your databases, which would explain the weird inconsistencies.

I wrote a stackoverflow post a while ago on how to correctly move an individual shard which
explains some of the internals: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6676972/moving-a-shard-from-one-bigcouch-server-to-another-for-balancing.

For your situation, I believe you will need to update all the documents in the _dbs database
and substitute your old node names for the new node names. I strongly advise you take a backup
of everything you can.

For others observing this thread, I strongly advise against renaming nodes like this, it can
only lead to trouble, and potentially data loss.

B.