couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Samuel Williams <space.ship.travel...@gmail.com>
Subject Relaxo Ruby gem no longer targets CouchDB
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2017 22:46:07 GMT
Hi Guys,

It's with a heavy (and slightly frustrated) heart that I've decided to
stop investing time and effort into CouchDB. The 2.0 release moves
further away from the core principals of CouchDB that made it
attractive to me. In addition, a lot of issues in the core design of
CouchDB (e.g. better query server & schema) seem to be ignored for
years and so I've given up hope that there would be improvements.

I'm not trying to be negative too much, the 2.0 release looks really
great in a lot of ways - it's simply not what I'm after for my
personal projects.

The main point of this email is regarding the gems I maintained and published.

For several years, I maintained an unpopular set of Ruby gems:
"Relaxo", "Relaxo::Model" and "Relaxo::Query::Server". They are not
used much but they were pretty decent client libraries. I'm
refactoring the first two gems (never had a 1.0 release) as a Git
based transactional database. So, from the next release (probably
0.6.0), they will have breaking API changes and no longer work with
CouchDB. The third one - Relaxo::Query::Server, may be modified to be
a git-based map-reduce server, so eventually that will be unavailable
too.

I'm just wanted to let anyone know, officially, what's happening with
these gems as I feel it would be unfortunate for someone to be
depending on them and not know what's happening or why. If you are
stuck using these gems, know that they are now unmaintained in their
current form, but you can pin to version "~> 0.4.0" and things would
keep working. In addition, I've updated the confluence wiki to point
to the best other option I know of (Couchrest) and removed links to
these gems. When I update these gems, later today, they should not be
published on the CouchDB news feed as they are no longer relevant.

Thanks so much everyone.

Kind regards,
Samuel