couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Adam <daniel.adam...@gmail.com>
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:57:00 GMT
Hi,
I'm running an index/view re-generation with 10M documents, 10views, having
1 node and 8 shards on it.
It seems it will take more than 1 day. What are limiting factors for that?
Looking at perfromance monitoring tools (Task Manager and Process
Explorer), it seems neither I/O or CPU is saturated:
CPU (8 cores) each core taking <30% its capacity
I/O reads ~ 8MB/s
I/O writes ~ 1.5MB/s

Windows 7 64bit
16GB memory
Intel i7-4800 @ 2.7GHz
HDD Seagate ST500LM0

Any explanation why the system limits are not being saturated? Seems to me
the bottleneck is I/O, but the disk is capable of 100MB/s throughput in
sequential reads/writes. If the limiting factor is indeed I/O, I assume
changing number of shards would not gain much, possibly even 1 shard would
provide a similar speed.

Any way to improve the speed of index rebuild?

Thanks,
Daniel