couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Clemens Stolle <clemens.sto...@fastmail.com>
Subject Re: how to force flush a db?
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2016 08:52:49 GMT
Hey Dan,
I have an app in production and we handle backups the way you're describing. Every night we
push a zip archive to s3. Works great.

---
Clemens

> Am 14.01.2016 um 21:44 schrieb Dan Santner <dansantner@me.com>:
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I should probably ask a different question.
>
> I’ve been using git to take snapshots of my databases in certain states.  Basically
i put all the data files under git and then when I have my data the way I want I can freeze
it for later replay by committing it to a branch in a repo.

> It works really well for me.  I’m thinking of the similar mechanism for backup.  Basically
I’ll zip the data directory and store it in S3 periodically as a backup.  I was concerned
though that the state of the files might not be restartable if I don’t shut down the couchdb
process before snapshotting.

> Anyone else doing something like this?
>
>> On Jan 14, 2016, at 1:00 PM, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> [couchdb]
>> delayed_commits=false
>>
>> It’s false by default from 2.0 onward too.
>>
>> When set to true, a timer calls fsync once per second. I’d argue your forcing isn’t
necessary in either case.

>> B.
>>
>>> On 14 Jan 2016, at 17:46, Dan Santner <dansantner@me.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to force couch to flush everything to disk?  right now I’m stopping
the database to make that happen but would be really nice to be able to do that while keeping
it running.