couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ying Bian <yb...@me.com>
Subject Create many couchdb instances on demand?
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:36:05 GMT
Hi all,

I’m building a platform where users (platform users) can create their own customize “app”s.

In my original architecture I was thinking to assign each “app” a dedicated database in
shared couchdb instance. With that app database, the app owner can store whatever
he needs to store, including the app’s own users (app users). Note that "app users" are

different from "platform users”: platform users are just app owners who create apps, while
app users are the consumers of a specific app, which should be isolated from app to app.

As in couchdb there is only one _users table per couchdb instance, I am wondering whether
it
is a better architecture if I assign each app one couchdb instance instead of a database?
Then
I can leverage the authentication & authorization logic provided by couchdb. Otherwise
I would
have to have another authentication & authorization system and need to keep it consistent
with
that in couchdb.

What do you think of this? Is it a normal setup to have many couchdb instances? I assume I

would need to consult with some technology like docker to do this. How complex is it and
what kind of additional issues do I need to address?

Your opinion is very much appreciated.

-Ying