couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <>
Subject Re: Using Json schema in validate function
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 09:20:30 GMT
On 5 February 2013 09:52, Ian Mayo <> wrote:
> I'm familiar with the use of a validate function in CouchDb, and have a
> js-crafted one doing a good job right now.
> But, I'm interested in moving to a higher-level validation, through use of
> a json-schema:
> I've only just become aware of the JSV validator, written in Javascript:
> Has anybody managed to use JSV in a CouchDb validate function?  Are there
> any examples online?
> Personally, I think there would be great merit in providing 'native' json
> schema validation within CouchDb - it really seems a "grown-up" way of
> maintaining the quality of a document database (accepting that there are
> still many use cases that rely on a completely schema free design).
> Cheers,
> Ian

Hi Ian,

TL;DR this should not be difficult to do within a validation function,
*but* you might find performance takes a hit.

I have some old links on this but don't recall anybody posting
anything concrete, and I found a way not to need it.

This person had a crack but never revealed any secret sauce:

Simon might have more details to share:

>From a performance perspective you are likely to find this painful.

Would likely work as an erlang validation function, with some work
required. But at least its mochiweb based already.

View raw message