couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <>
Subject Re: Bad performance when storing documents
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:37:13 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Sebastjan Trepca <> wrote:
> Hi,
> downloaded latest version (0.8.1) and did some tests on it. GET's are
> fast, but POST's are pretty disappointing. I am using the default
> configuration on my Macbook Pro and it can process only 7
> POSTs/second. Am I missing something?
> Thanks,
> Sebastjan

1. Use _bulk_docs. The more docs you can load in a single request the
more improvement you'll get. This is a direct RAM/speed tradeoff.
2. Use trunk. There have been numerous speed improvements since 0.8.
You could also try the couchdb-devel port, but I'm not sure where it
exactly in terms of SVN revision. I'm 95% certain there have been a
few more patches that should improve speed since then.
3. Less importantly, but jchris would be upset if I didn't mention, if
you can use sorted docids when inserting you can squeeze out more

Paul Davis

Also, what Chris says. If your erlang VM is 5.5.5 or there abouts
(check with `erl`) you're hitting a bug in erlang itself that's fixed
with the newer RC's that are recommended for use.

View raw message