couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Linking to Professional Services
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2014 11:38:24 GMT

On 15 Oct 2014, at 13:34 , Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> couch.io comes back? wouldn't it cause creation yet another couchbase?
> or what should ensure people in that?

Well, we have branding guidelines in the works as well. People won’t be able to use *couch*
in their offering’s names.

> --
> ,,,^..^,,,
>

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Heya Marketingers,
>>
>> one of the things I keep noticing in the field is that people and companies decide
against using CouchDB because there are no professional services or support offerings.

>> My main objective is showing that CouchDB is a viable solution and that commercial
services are being catered to.

>> Of course there is Cloudant, but there are enough scenarios where that’s not an
option.

>> Also of course, there are a number of people and companies that offer services for
CouchDB, e.g. Benoit.

>> I think it’d be a great boost for the project if the main website (or sub-page)
would have a direct pointer to the various offerings that exist so end users get a feel for
how good they can be taken care of, if needed.

>> Say we all agree that it’s a good idea*, there are a few open questions:
>> - who decides which offerings get listed?
>> - what would be a rule or guideline for refusing an entry?
>> - how do we deal with offers that turn out not to be so good after all?
>> - how can we avoid a “first come first serve” rush to offer something first?
>> - etc.
>>
>> *If* we are going anywhere, I think we should look at other Apache projects and other
open source projects and come up with guidelines that answer the above questions (and the
ones you come up with :)

>> *- If we don’t agree that’s a good idea, that’s also fine, I just wanted to
get a discussion around this going :)