couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REQUEST] Promote the CouchDB 1.6.0 release
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 17:50:33 GMT
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11 June 2014 16:43, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Under "non-interesting" I mean the news as like as ours. "Foo get
>> release X.Y.Z. This is feature release". "Okay " is the only reaction
>> of users who are not directly related to "Foo" project and obliviously
>> such news wouldn't raise any interest from their side.
>
> Not sure why people would be following CouchDB if they didn't care
> about our releases. Perhaps I'm missing something?

People from extended circles of those who follows CouchDB and shares
their posts with are "potential followers" and they may get interested
and follow CouchDB (and become CouchDB user in future). For the same
reasons I follow various databases and projects: while I'm not their
active user I like to read interesting stuff they share.

Why care about our releases news? Because our releases is the best way
to promote our features again and again and show how they becomes
better in time without blame for noise generation or for aggressive
marketing. Say, you don't know anything about CouchDB and see "Apache
CouchDB 1.6.0 released" topic. Currently the situation will be: "Ok,
released, congrats, moving on". With few notices about release as
Marcello did you'll more likely read about changes and notice project
features. Since that point you may get interested, click on link and
read more about or moving on. But you'll left with some more knowledge
about CouchDB than in case of "this is a feature release".

Another good example how to share release news (sorry for google translate):
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opennet.ru%2Fopennews%2Fart.shtml%3Fnum%3D39981
In single post you get quick knowledge about CouchDB: what is it, how
it works, where it uses, and sure what's in release. And it doesn't
matter what user will read this post: experienced will just skip the
header and read the changes list, the new /  potential user will meet
with the project and may get interested in it.

>> As a good example I could recommend this "community" (better call it
>> G+ news feed of single man):
>
> The third post down is this:
>
> https://plus.google.com/110423559145794735162/posts/WCnwykhcyy8
>
> someone is sharing the weekly news, with the only comment being:
>
> "A little bit late ;)"

Yeap, and would you click on such link? (; Probably, you'll skip it
without being noticed.

--