couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ilya Khlopotov <iil...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reformat src files with `erlfmt` on `main`
Date Thu, 20 May 2021 15:53:16 GMT
Good idea Donat!!!

Even though I disagree with some of the choices made by erlfmt I appreciate consistency it
provides.
The choices are logical. I really love that every decision is documented and properly discussed.
I did read PR in its entirety and in fact was not even noticed the ugly `->` in the beginning
of the line closer to the end of the review process.
I do believe our wetware would adjust in no time to new formatting. Given how easy it is to
reason about. I agree with Donat's observation that we are spending too much time and emphasis
on formatting issues every time we review PRs. I do believe it is a machine job to provide
consistent formatting. We humans are better at other things. All in all I vote for adopting
`erlfmt` for both 3.x and main.

Also thank you Donat for providing validation scripts to make sure the re-formatted code compiles
to the same beam files.

Best regards,
iilyak