couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should we continue with FDB RFC's
Date Thu, 14 May 2020 21:14:22 GMT
The intent of the RFCs was to give people a place to look at what's
being done, comment on the implementation decisions, and to form the
basis for eventual documentation.

I think they've been relatively successful on the first two pieces, but
it sounds like they've fallen behind, especially because we have quite a
few languishing PRs over in the couchdb-documentation repo.

My hope had been that those PRs would land much faster - even if they
were WIPs - and would get updated regularly with new PRs.

Is that too onerous of a request?

I agree with Adam that the level of detail doesn't have to be there in
great detail when it comes to implementation decisions. It only really
needs to be there in detail for API changes, so we have good source
material for the eventual documentation side of things. Since 4.0 is
meant to be largely API compatible with 3.0, I hope this is also in-line
with expectations.

-Joan "engineering, more than anything, means writing it down" Touzet

On 2020-05-13 8:53 a.m., Adam Kocoloski wrote:
> I do find them useful and would be glad to see us maintain some sort of “system architecture
guide” as a living document. I understand that can be a challenge when things are evolving
quickly, though I also think that if there’s a substantial change to the design from the
RFC it could be worth a note to dev@ to call that out.

> I imagine we can omit some level of detail from these documents to still capture the
main points of the data model and data flows without needing to update them e.g. every time
a new field is added to a packed value.