couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE]: Deprecate _update Endpoint
Date Wed, 06 May 2020 17:12:50 GMT

> On 6. May 2020, at 17:40, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
>
> When we looked at some of our internal usage data we found that _update had measurably
higher adoption than the rendering functions, so we didn’t push so hard on deprecating it
yet.

> I’d feel better about removing this endpoint if there was a clear plan to provide alternative
server-side partial update functionality in a future release. We had some good discussions
in GitHub a while back:

> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1554
> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1559
>
> It’d be good to review those designs and see if we can advance them to the level of
an RFC. I suspect we’re close.

I agree it’d be nice to have those to issues closed out and there isn’t a lot to making
that happen conceptually, so I’m reasonable confident we’ll get there eventually. But
I’d rather not make those landing a precondition of the deprecation.

Best
Jan
—