couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] length restrictions in 4.0
Date Fri, 01 May 2020 18:36:45 GMT
Hello,

There are other threads related to doc size (etc) limits for CouchDB 4.0, motivated by restrictions
in FoundationDB, but we haven't discussed database name length and doc id length limits. These
are encoded into FoundationDB keys and so we would be wise to forcibly limit their length
from the start.

I propose 256 character limit for database name and 512 character limit for doc ids.

If you can't uniquely identify your database or document within those limits I argue that
you're doing something wrong, and the limits here, while making FDB happy, are an aid to sensible
application design.

Does anyone want higher or lower limits? Comments pls.

B.