couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: moving email lists to GitHub Discussions (Was: [DISCUSS] moving email lists to Discourse)
Date Tue, 26 May 2020 17:56:21 GMT
Quick update for those who don't want to read JIRA (you can subscribe to
the issue, by the way - could use more voices...):

Because the request is to put user support discussions there only for
now, we aren't strictly required to have email integration with our
users@ list. That's good!

The bad news is that GitHub Repo Discussions are still in limited beta,
and we need someone at GH to enable that for our repo.

I have asked Infra to reach out to GH to ask about this, but have zero
visibility into progress on that.

If I don't see any progress in a week or two, I'll poke them again.

The _good_ news is that if we felt we wanted to move forward with an
alternative solution - again for user help only, no product decision
making allowed outside of dev@ / something that cc's to dev@ - we could
do that. But let's not be too hasty, GH Repo Discussions looks like the
best match for us and the least long-term maintenance work.

-Joan "less admin == more maintainable" Touzet

On 2020-05-26 10:52, Nick Vatamaniuc wrote:
> +1
>
> Thank you, Joan!
>
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 2:50 PM Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Joan, I’m looking forward to Infra feedback.
>>
>> Best
>> Jan
>> —
>>
>>> On 22. May 2020, at 19:31, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on this proposal. (I know a lot of people
are marching towards deadlines right now.) I also don't want to take it to users@, unless
there's a reality of it happening.

>>> In the interest of moving this forward, I'm going to open an exploratory issue
with Infra to see how much work it'd be to make this happen. Hopefully, we're not the first
people to ask.

>>> We'll still need a vote here, or on users@, before we would actually move activity
to GH Discussions, but it won't be the gating factor for a while yet, I bet.

>>> FYI, per our project guidelines/bylaws, this would be a non-technical decision,
allowing for lazy consensus and a lazy majority (3 binding +1s, more binding +1s than binding
-1s), with binding votes cast by committers, and no vetos.

>>> -Joan

would have a complete history and spare the project from total vendor lock in.

I think

The