couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] length restrictions in 4.0
Date Mon, 04 May 2020 19:03:02 GMT

But we don't need to add a file extension or a timestamp to database names.

B.

> On 4 May 2020, at 18:42, Nick Vatamaniuc <vatamane@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Good idea, +1 with one minor tweak: database name length in versions
> <4.0 was restricted by the maximum file name on whatever file system
> the server was running on. In practice that was 255, then there is an
> extension and a timestamp in the filename which made the db name limit
> be 238 so I suggest to use that instead.
>
> -Nick
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 11:51 AM Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think I speak for many in accepting the risk that we're excluding doc ids formed
from 4096-bit RSA signatures.

>> I don't think I made it clear but I think these should be fixed limits (i.e, not
configurable) in order to ensure inter-replication between couchdb installations wherever
they are.

>> B.
>>
>>> On 4 May 2020, at 10:52, Ilya Khlopotov <iilyak@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Thank you Robert for starting this important discussion. I think that the values
you propose make sense.
>>> I can see a case when user would use hashes as document ids. All existent hash
functions I am aware of should return data which fit into 512 characters. There is only one
case which doesn't fit into 512 limit. If user would decide to use RSA signatures as document
ids and they use 4096 bytes sized keys the signature size would be 684 bytes.

>>> However in this case users can easily replace signatures with hashes of signatures.
So I wouldn't worry about it to much. 512 sounds plenty to me.

>>> +1 to set hard limits on db name size and doc id size with proposed values.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> iilyak

motivated by restrictions in FoundationDB, but we haven't discussed database name length and
doc id length limits. These are encoded into FoundationDB keys and so we would be wise to
forcibly limit their length from the start.

I argue that you're doing something wrong, and the limits here, while making FDB happy, are
an aid to sensible application design.