couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] length restrictions in 4.0
Date Mon, 04 May 2020 16:57:46 GMT
Hey all,

I’m very much in favour of sensible defaults for these values. IMHO these
should have existed for a long time now.

These limitations put an upper boundary on how many databases and documents can be stored
in CouchDB, but I think at nice ~69^256 for number of databases, we are on the safe side here.

Best
Jan
—

> On 1. May 2020, at 20:36, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> There are other threads related to doc size (etc) limits for CouchDB 4.0, motivated by
restrictions in FoundationDB, but we haven't discussed database name length and doc id length
limits. These are encoded into FoundationDB keys and so we would be wise to forcibly limit
their length from the start.

> I propose 256 character limit for database name and 512 character limit for doc ids.
>
> If you can't uniquely identify your database or document within those limits I argue
that you're doing something wrong, and the limits here, while making FDB happy, are an aid
to sensible application design.