couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Partition query endpoints in CouchDB 4.0
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2020 21:57:35 GMT
On 2020-04-20 5:04 p.m., Robert Samuel Newson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to get views on whether we should preserve the _partition endpoints in CouchDB
4.0 or remove them. In CouchDB 4.0 all _view and _find queries will automatically benefit
from the same performance boost that the "partitioned database" feature brings, by virtue
of FoundationDB.

> If we're preserving it, are we also deprecating it (so it's gone in 5.0)?

I'm +1 on deprecate in 4.0, re-route to the main endpoint handlers, and
remove in 5.0.

> If we're ditching it, what will the endpoint return instead (404 Not Found, 410 Gone?)
>
> Thoughts welcome.

How much uptake of partitioned DBs has there been at e.g. Cloudant? I
don't think 3.0.0 has been out long enough for people to really take
advantage of them in OSS CouchDB yet.

> B.

-J