couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Reddy B. <redd...@live.fr>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] moving email lists to Discourse
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2020 14:48:10 GMT
Many thanks, I wasn't aware of this website, the experience is indeed much more pleasant!

For the rest what you are saying makes sense to me, maybe the key lies in the notification
system of whatever system is choosen. If it can be reliable enough it can work even for core
developers.

Maybe the missed emails are a matter of SMTP servers rejecting the email because of false
positives with spam detection. This is very frequent especially with gmail. Configuring an
external SMTP server like SendGrid or AmazonSES could be all that is needed to make notification
emails reliable.

________________________________
De : Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org>
Envoyé : dimanche 15 mars 2020 19:02
À : dev@couchdb.apache.org <dev@couchdb.apache.org>
Objet : Re: [DISCUSS] moving email lists to Discourse

On 2020-03-15 11:02 a.m., Reddy B. wrote:
>However, if you are an outsider looking for context that was discussed 2 years ago, even
Couchdb's official archive website<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/>
does not have a search function. There may be a way but this is clearly not as user friendly
than something like discourse.

That archive has been retired, though it's still online for some time
yet. Try this one for a much better experience, with search:

https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@couchdb.apache.org

> So far I have never subscribed to email notifications on these platforms, I just visit
the website and have no problem with that. Moreover something like Discourse even groups the
topics that were discussed "since you last visited". Just sharing my experience since many
people may be similar.

It's harder for those of us who actively maintain the software as part
of our daily routine to switch from a "push" to a 'pull" model for these
things, but it is absolutely easier for people only looking to ask a few
questions and get answers - that's for sure.

That said, I rely entirely on email from GitHub to stay abreast of our
code changes and pull requests. I think I'd be sunk if I had to use the
activity feed on GitHub's website.

-Joan "social distancing works" Touzet