couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Reddy B. <redd...@live.fr>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] moving email lists to Discourse
Date Sun, 15 Mar 2020 15:02:26 GMT
To add my two cents, I personally engage much more on communities using discourse or some modern
Forum engines, than on those relying on mailing lists.

As far as browsing archives is concerned, I personally always find it painful to browse email
archives to find relevant information. Maybe if you have been part of the community from day
1, and you have been storing all emails locally, then launching a search in your email client
is convenient (but even then, the quality of your results will depend on the search implementation
of your email client + what about if you're not using your regular computer). However, if
you are an outsider looking for context that was discussed 2 years ago, even Couchdb's official
archive website<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/> does not have
a search function. There may be a way but this is clearly not as user friendly than something
like discourse.

I would also note that beyond archive scenarios, one major benefit of tools like Discord that
people often fail to verbalize is that they capture social dynamics around a topic/issue.
You can see how many people viewed a topic, liked a post etc... It is so valuable to know
that the piece of information you have found helped the original poster, or was "blessed"
with a like by a senior member of the community.

This also helps the archiving scenario since you have very helpful activity feeds, which also
allow you to stay on top of your preferred communities quickly. If questions are redundant
you can link to the previous topic easily or even merge topics. Referencing former discussions
on emails is much more difficult and impractical. My observation is that people just get tired
of answering the same question and ignore new posters or start replying with one-liners.

So far I have never subscribed to email notifications on these platforms, I just visit the
website and have no problem with that. Moreover something like Discourse even groups the topics
that were discussed "since you last visited". Just sharing my experience since many people
may be similar.