couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] soft-deletion
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2020 18:59:00 GMT
Alex,

All joking aside, soft-deletion's target use case is accidental
deletions. This isn't a replacement for backup/restore which will
still happen for all the usual reasons.

Paul

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 1:42 PM Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 1:29 PM Alex Miller
> <alexmiller@apple.com.invalid> wrote:
> >

> > > On Mar 18, 2020, at 05:04, jiangph <jiangpenghui@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Instead of automatically and immediately removing data and index in database
after a delete operation, soft-deletion allows to restore the deleted data back to original
state due to a “fat finger”or undesired delete operation, up to defined periods, such
as 48 hours.

> > > In CouchDB 3.0, soft-deletion of database is implemented in [1]. The .couch
file is renamed with the .<timestamp>.deleted.couch file after soft-deletion is enabled,
and such file can be changed back to .couch for the purpose of restore. If restore is not
needed and some specified period passed, the .<timestamp>.deleted.couch file can be
deleted to achieve deletion of database permanently.

> > > In CouchDB 4.0, with the introduction of FoundationDB, the data model and storage
is changed. In order to support soft-deletion, we propose below solution and then implement
them.

> > I’ve sort of hand waved some answers to this in my head, but would you mind expanding
a bit on the advantages of keeping soft-deleted data in FoundationDB as opposed to actually
deleting it and relying on FoundationDB’s backup and restore to recover it if needed?