couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] soft-deletion
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2020 18:42:58 GMT
On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 1:29 PM Alex Miller
<alexmiller@apple.com.invalid> wrote:

> > On Mar 18, 2020, at 05:04, jiangph <jiangpenghui@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Instead of automatically and immediately removing data and index in database after
a delete operation, soft-deletion allows to restore the deleted data back to original state
due to a “fat finger”or undesired delete operation, up to defined periods, such as 48
hours.

> > In CouchDB 3.0, soft-deletion of database is implemented in [1]. The .couch file
is renamed with the .<timestamp>.deleted.couch file after soft-deletion is enabled,
and such file can be changed back to .couch for the purpose of restore. If restore is not
needed and some specified period passed, the .<timestamp>.deleted.couch file can be
deleted to achieve deletion of database permanently.

> > In CouchDB 4.0, with the introduction of FoundationDB, the data model and storage
is changed. In order to support soft-deletion, we propose below solution and then implement
them.

> I’ve sort of hand waved some answers to this in my head, but would you mind expanding
a bit on the advantages of keeping soft-deleted data in FoundationDB as opposed to actually
deleting it and relying on FoundationDB’s backup and restore to recover it if needed?

From: Panicked User
To: Customer Support
Subject: URGENT! EMERGENCY DATABASE RESTORE!

Dear,

I have accidentally deleted my Very Important Database and need to
have it restored ASAP! Without this mission critical database my
company is completely offline which is costing $1B an hour!!!!!

Please respond ASAP!

Sincerely,
Panicky McPanics