couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: native encryption for couchdb 4.0?
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2020 17:17:07 GMT

On 2020-03-12 12:29, Robert Samuel Newson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Our team at IBM are working on native encryption of document content for the Cloudant
service and are wondering if there'd be interest (or objection!) to this landing as a CouchDB
feature?

Yes!

> This is only targeted at the (future) CouchDB 4.0 release which introduces FoundationDB
as the persistence layer and, as stated above, currently only for document bodies.

> This would be a configuration option (and presumably disabled by default).
>
> I'll spare us all the crypto details for now (besides pointing out they've been reviewed
by our in-house cryptographers and use only public algorithms and techniques in a straightforward
manner).

Will the code be platform independent (or at least NIFfed in a way that
supports compiling on Mac, FreeBSD, Windows?)

Is there any impact on our CouchDB API surface, other than
enabling/disabling document encryption?

Is there any intersection with the _access work Jan is working on?