couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Miller <alexmil...@apple.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] soft-deletion
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2020 18:29:44 GMT

> On Mar 18, 2020, at 05:04, jiangph <jiangpenghui@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Instead of automatically and immediately removing data and index in database after a
delete operation, soft-deletion allows to restore the deleted data back to original state
due to a “fat finger”or undesired delete operation, up to defined periods, such as 48
hours.

> In CouchDB 3.0, soft-deletion of database is implemented in [1]. The .couch file is renamed
with the .<timestamp>.deleted.couch file after soft-deletion is enabled, and such file
can be changed back to .couch for the purpose of restore. If restore is not needed and some
specified period passed, the .<timestamp>.deleted.couch file can be deleted to achieve
deletion of database permanently.

> In CouchDB 4.0, with the introduction of FoundationDB, the data model and storage is
changed. In order to support soft-deletion, we propose below solution and then implement them.

I’ve sort of hand waved some answers to this in my head, but would you mind expanding a
bit on the advantages of keeping soft-deleted data in FoundationDB as opposed to actually
deleting it and relying on FoundationDB’s backup and restore to recover it if needed?