couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] soft-deletion
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2020 21:03:22 GMT
Hi Alex,

On 2020-03-18 3:31 p.m., Alex Miller wrote:
> And this would all rely on having a continuous backup configured and running that would
hold a minimum of 48 hours of changes.

People aren't in the habit of doing this in the field. I don't know if
we'd be able to impress upon people the proper hygiene for this,
especially if their current backup solution is "I zip/tar up the
/opt/couchdb/data directory daily."

If CouchDB somehow shipped out of the box with the FDB continuous backup
configured and running as you say, the system load for this was minimal,
and the storage required not extreme...we might be able to pass it off.

Offering a soft-delete like this would be feature-continuous with
CouchDB 2.x/3.x and continue to provide the best approach for people in
*nix platforms. (Windows file locking introduces all sorts of other
problems.)

-Joan "people are more often lazy than incompetent" Touzet