couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Removal of ibmcom/couchdb3 preview image
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2020 05:05:42 GMT
Adam,

I didn't specifically go after Will. Will was kind enough to step in and
help, which is great.

Legal has been very, very clear on this. During my time on the board
it's come up as well. We do not want to incur their wrath.

We *cannot* be pushing dev or master builds out to the general public.
Period.

Making dev builds available to people who *directly* participate here -
on dev@couchdb.a.o - is fine. Making it available to the general
population outside of that mailing list - be that contributors who only
work on GitHub, people on Slack, Twitter, blogs, etc. is expressly
forbidden.

I mean, we need more people on dev@ - how about trying to get them to
come here first? We could have a *passworded* Docker repo and get them
to pull it from there, that's fine. Or you could just tell people to:

   git clone https://github.com/apache/couchdb-docker
   docker build dev -t couchdb:dev
   docker run couchdb:dev

and report issues here. Is 3 lines harder than 1? Not really.

You can go take this up with Legal if you want directly, but I
anticipate the answer will be a resounding *no*. I'm not going to make
their argument for them.

-Joan

On 2020-02-03 6:19 p.m., Adam Kocoloski wrote:
> I pushed for a `couchdb3` preview image — heck, I built the first one myself 6 months
ago (!) and hosted it in my own Docker Hub account. The upcoming CouchDB 3.0 release is better
off for all the little bugs we found and fixed as a result of those pulls. Appropriately documented,
it’s just an alternative version of https://repo-nightly.couchdb.org <https://repo-nightly.couchdb.org/>

> If you want to take an IBMer to task for violation of subsection II, part D of some ASF
by-laws, pick me. Will has done a phenomenal job chasing down all our internal teams and encouraging
them to work with us directly and avoid forking codebases or switching databases to meet their
individual roadmaps, and this image was a big assist in that regard.

>   Given that the publication of this image had such a positive effect on the quality
of the software that we *are* releasing, I’d like to see if we can find a way to publish
nightly Docker images in a more suitable location post 3.0. Thanks,

> Adam
>
>> On Feb 3, 2020, at 1:39 PM, Will Holley <willholley@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Joan for highlighting the problem; the image has been removed from
>> DockerHub.

>>> 3.0 is not a thing yet and we have brought that up with several IBMers that
>>> calling anything intermediate “CouchDB3” (this is isn’t the first time)
is