couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB 3.0 Update - Dec 3rd
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2019 19:09:55 GMT
Here’s my view:

- A release should have convenience binaries available within days
- We don’t need to have all the deep dive blog posts on the new capabilities ready, but
they should follow within weeks
- I don’t think we need to insert code freeze delays more than the usual window of testing
for a release candidate

My understanding is that one of the benefits of the new Jenkins setup is the ability to automate
many steps of the binary package generation. I think we can devote some time to getting that
online while we chase down the last few remaining tickets and see if we can lighten the load
for binary package generation. If we can get this done in December - great!

Adam

> On Dec 5, 2019, at 1:34 PM, Denitsa Burroughs <denitsa.burroughs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all -
>
> Thanks all for your input so far. Anyone else care to share their
> preference on the release options for 3.0?
>
> a) release in December
> b) release in January
> c) code freeze (now) after the required content is merged and only allow
> bug fixes through January?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Deni
>
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 11:53 AM Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m fine with a release either side of Christmas but I agree with Joan’s
>> point.
>>
>> I suggest a compromise of a code freeze. Only fixes for 3.0 to be merged
>> until the new year then do the release dance.
>>
>>> On 4 Dec 2019, at 14:45, support-tiger <support@tigernassau.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> fyi: Every year Ruby releases a new major version on Christmas - has
>> become a tradition with the user base - so no need to worry about holidays
>> but obviously must be ready to ship.
>>>
>>> Do not forget about PR - I have seen little on the web about the
>> upcoming major version release.  What are the major new features ?  (not
>> just a changelog).  How about a review from someone trying out the beta or
>> RC.
>>>
>>> One more thing: node express crud example ?  (if you want to attract
>> users to a JSON database)
>>>
>>> And one more thing:  are Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu pkgs ready ?

>> be
>> so I

>> and

>> end