couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove `make elixir` from `make check`
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2019 22:31:21 GMT
Hi Joan,

I’ve seen the Elixir suite implicated more frequently as well. I haven’t done the analysis
to see if the failures are concentrated in one or two flakes or if they’re more evenly distributed.
If it’s a small number of  flaky tests I think we have time to fix/disable them rather than
knocking out the whole suite.

I agree that we need `make check` to be trustworthy in 3.0 release candidates. I would like
to keep running the elixir tests in the CI regardless of whether they’re in the `check`
suite. Cheers,

Adam

> On Dec 12, 2019, at 4:39 PM, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi again,
>
> As I've been looking more closely at the CI suite for the Jenkins transition, I've noticed
that our Elixir test cases are actually the most likely to fail. In 6 consecutive CI runs,
5 runs failed due to failures in the Elixir suite. (The 6th failed due to a JS test failure.)

> We started the Elixir effort to retire the JS suite. We reached a decision some months
ago to put it into `make check` so that people would pay attention to its output, and work
to fix those tests, accelerating our chances to get rid of the JS suite.

> Unfortunately, that's not materialised. Our Elixir test porters seem to have stopped
their work for a while now, and no one is systematically addressing the failures in that suite.
I've also heard other developers mention (via IRC) that some of the test cases hold invalid
assumptions about how CouchDB works, especially with the Erlang-based clustering code. It
sounds to me like the effort needs a full code review.

> With 3.0 around the corner, I want people to be able to trust the output of `make check`
when downloading the tarball. If there is no objection, when I merge the Erlang version /
CI changes on Monday, I will also comment out the call to `make elixir` as part of make check.

> When the Elixir porting team is more confident in the reliability and completeness of
their work, and we can successfully retire the JS suite, we can reconsider.