couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB 3.0 Update - Dec 3rd
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2019 16:52:58 GMT
Hi,

I’m fine with a release either side of Christmas but I agree with Joan’s point.

I suggest a compromise of a code freeze. Only fixes for 3.0 to be merged until the new year
then do the release dance.

> On 4 Dec 2019, at 14:45, support-tiger <support@tigernassau.com> wrote:
>
> fyi: Every year Ruby releases a new major version on Christmas - has become a tradition
with the user base - so no need to worry about holidays but obviously must be ready to ship.

> Do not forget about PR - I have seen little on the web about the upcoming major version
release.  What are the major new features ?  (not just a changelog).  How about a review from
someone trying out the beta or RC.

> One more thing: node express crud example ?  (if you want to attract users to a JSON
database)

> And one more thing:  are Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu pkgs ready ?
>

>> On 12/4/19 6:43 AM, Denitsa Burroughs wrote:
>> Hi Joan,
>>
>> Point taken. Let's see what the rest of the PMC members thinks. Just to be
>> clear: I had spoken to Bob about helping with the release activities, so I
>> wasn't expecting this to land on you. :)
>>
>> I think that the biggest challenge would be getting the release notes and
>> documentation ready. I would appreciate some feedback on areas that are
>> lacking (if any) so that I can track it. Happy to open a ticket where we
>> could capture a list if that makes sense.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Deni
>>
>>> On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 1:08 AM Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Deni,
>>>
>>> Is it wise to rush out a 3.0 release prior to the holidays? I don't
>>> think so. Practically speaking we have 2 weeks before people start
>>> disappearing (including me, I'm gone as of Dec 18) and I don't think
>>> we'll get either the critical mass for testing, nor the attention from
>>> our release channels, if we rush to get it done before then.
>>>
>>> Consider this an informal desire to push off the RC/release process
>>> until January 2020. If the rest of the PMC want to push ahead (knowing I
>>> won't be here to help, and are ready to do it themselves), go for it.
>>>
>>> -Joan

>>> I'd
>>> of
>>> know if

>>> reviewed,
PR
**-
>>> ioq
>>> later. EXCEPT for one patch to accept the _access member in docs.
>>> promise that before Dec 13.
>>> sneaking it during the RC phase.

Dec 6