couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From ermouth <ermo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Node types in CouchDB 4.x
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2019 15:43:56 GMT
> with exact terminology like "index" vs
> "query" service

‘Index service’ holds index trees, which may require different sharding
than docs. Index service is mostly about IO, partitioning pre-calculated
data records.

‘Query service’ runs queries, which may involve fetching index, complex
sub-querying, filtering, grouping, etc. Something like view + _list call in
CouchDB, often CPU-bound, so sharding is more about load balancing than
data partitioning.

ermouth