couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From ermouth <ermo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB and future
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2019 21:40:48 GMT
This tuned out to be interesting, results vary heavily for different
platforms.

I included `perftest.html` into Photon design doc. The utility gives good
insight how q,n impact doc creation, doc update, validate + update, and
viewindex create/update – for a particular CouchDB instance.

Common observations:
* q=1 is only ok for rare special cases (like DBs with dozen docs)
* it’s ok to have q==cores or q==cores+1 or even cores+2: write perf drops
a little, but viewindex update is bit faster
* excessive q (say, more than cores×2) negatively impacts direct write
perf: having q8 for 2core at least halves write perf for most
commodity/lean platforms and hw cfg.

ermouth